PDA

View Full Version : Running an own sanctuary ? Tips !

The Sonic God
06.07.2005, 10:51
I'm thinking of helping a friend run his own sanctuary in the future. Any tips?

White Lion
07.07.2005, 05:35
1) Make shure anyone who has contact with any of the exotic animals stays vacinated for rabies, It protects you and the animals.

2) If in the U.S. make shure that you make the sanctuary a non-proffit orginization. The tax breaks really help.

3) make shure that you have the money to take care of the animals before you get them.

4) CAUTION: License to make the sanctuary open to the public cost money. We had the problem that we are in the middle of nowhere and can't pull in enough money from visitors to pay for the licensee.

5) Make shure you're confident and shure with the animal you are working with. animals can sense you're emotions and they'll react to them, if you feel scared and nurvious they'll pick up on it and it can make a dangerous situation.

6) Never work with a animal capable of hurting you alone. Always make shure there's someone nearby incase something happens.

7) Always think things through thorughly before getting around an animal, you're lucky if you get a second chanse.

8) If you don't want a bunch of young animals don't put male and female animals in the same enclosure / habitat.

The Sonic God
07.07.2005, 07:12
1) Make shure anyone who has contact with any of the exotic animals stays vacinated for rabies, It protects you and the animals.

This is just common sense for working with any wild animal.

2) If in the U.S. make shure that you make the sanctuary a non-proffit orginization. The tax breaks really help.

Not looking for tax breaks. The love we have for God's creatures goes far beyond the realm of money. Though a good idea.

3) make shure that you have the money to take care of the animals before you get them.

Some sactuaries can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, and that's not including insurance policies!

4) CAUTION: License to make the sanctuary open to the public cost money. We had the problem that we are in the middle of nowhere and can't pull in enough money from visitors to pay for the licensee.

This will be a private sanctuary, but I hope to be able to have my friend register the sanctuary to become part of breeding programmes.

5) Make shure you're confident and shure with the animal you are working with. animals can sense you're emotions and they'll react to them, if you feel scared and nurvious they'll pick up on it and it can make a dangerous situation.

I fear no creature of God, even if he or she is capable of killing me. This is the same with humans. Love is the most powerful of all emotions, and if cats can sense your love for them, they will respect you. However, it is my understanding that although the cat over time will have a general sense of happiness around you, he or she has the strength capable of doing some serious damage, even if he or she is just "playing around."

6) Never work with a animal capable of hurting you alone. Always make shure there's someone nearby incase something happens.

Common sense. I've been thinking about having emergency phones posted everywhere in the sanctuary that can work instantly should problem occur.

7) Always think things through thorughly before getting around an animal, you're lucky if you get a second chanse.

In other words, never let your guard down. Not even for a second. If you disrespect that creature's power just one time, it could cost you your life.

8) If you don't want a bunch of young animals don't put male and female animals in the same enclosure / habitat.

Well, duh. lol

White Lion
07.07.2005, 07:19
you'd be supprised at how many people are stupid and end up getting themselves, the animals, or the refuge/sanctuary hurt.

Most people greatly fear animals, I don't fear them but i highly respect them. After being through several firefights and crashing a helicopter there's not much anymore that scares me or gives me an adrinilen rush.

The Sonic God
07.07.2005, 07:31
Such catastrophic events could be more easily avoided if people utilised common sense. These are precious and yet powerful creatures under our care.

White Lion
07.07.2005, 07:54
That's the problem with most people these days, there highly intelegent but they don't have the ability to apply it in evearyday life, they have no common sense.

The cat's under my care are the most precious things in my life which is why I won't let anyone but me and rose have physical contact with them.
There my kids..........if anyone ever hurt one of them I'd probobly put the last 4 years of training into practice and kick in there front door in full CQC SWAT gear and my M-4carbine.

Kirauni
07.07.2005, 08:33
I see what you mean. Many people just don't know how to take care of animals.
It always gives me the creeps looking at some dogs in our town.
And I keep wondering: Why do human-beeings have to be that way ?
But then again as you said they probably lack common sense.

For me my pet is more than just a pet. It's part of my family.
And I got many pets meaning we are all a big family ;)

Oh and I think this topic is not really Disney or TLK related and therefore I move it to the Spam Corner in the OFF TOPIC section.

Reepacheep
07.07.2005, 12:08
make sure you have connections with good vets, preferably specializing in wild animals. you cant skimp on the health of your animals!

White Lion
07.07.2005, 19:01
kirauni: I see and think the same thing when I drive down the road. It's amazing how much people will ignore there pets:( Some people just don't care, eveary time I see it I want to walk up to the owner and beat the #$^# out of them. We also have a serious problem with people trying to steal my mom's dogs. She breeds champion standard poodles and she has 3 females and we've had several people try to break into the house to steal them.

make sure you have connections with good vets, preferably specializing in wild animals. you cant skimp on the health of your animals!

Definantly, being a vet is like a bloodline on my mom's side of the family, My grandfather is one of the head professors at the Auburn vetrenary school. He has his Phd. in vetrenary medicin, microbiology and virology plus several masters. So we allways have a good vet.

The Sonic God
08.07.2005, 06:21
Kirauni: Oscar and Pepper are my family members, whom have priority over any other business in this house.

If the big cats didn't trust me in their presence, I would most certainly back away. It's not like I'm a 2-tonne elephant waiting to stomp down on the cats. I have no such power.

Cobalt
12.09.2005, 18:04
Is anyone aware of any large cat sactuaries that accept volunteers? (in the U.S.) I spent about 2 years helping at one in central Michigan from about '99-'01. We had to close down due to a lack of funding.

I miss the work, and want to get back involved.

The Sonic God
14.09.2005, 09:24
A friend I'm writing to is planning on setting up a sanctuary, and we'll need assistance. We'll also hire professionals to get ideas.

Cobalt
14.09.2005, 12:30
Feel free to let me know if I can be of assistance in some way.

The Sonic God
15.09.2005, 05:58
Sure thing.

White Lion
15.09.2005, 18:08
PrideRock Wildlife Refuge
17194 C.R. 329
Terrell, TX 75161-0225
PH# (972) 524-6807

The C.A.R.E. Foundation
PO Box 1012
Christmas, FL 32709
PH# 407-247-8948

Yogie And Friends Exotic Cat Sanctuary
128 Fob Lane
Frierson, LA 71027-2066
PH# 318-795-0455

Valley of the Kings Sanctuary and Retreat
W7593 Townhall Rd.
Sharon, WI 53585-9728
PH# (262) 736-9386
FAX: (262) 736-2020

Tiger Missing Link
17544 FM 14
Tyler, TX 75706-2300
PH# (903) 858-1008
FAX: (903) 858-1509

Peace River Refuge & Ranch
2545 Stoner Lane
Zolfo Springs, FL 33890
PH# (863) 735-0804
FAX: (863) 735-0805

Cat Tales Zoological Park
http://www.cattales.org/
N. 17020 Newport Hwy
Mead, Washington, 99021-9539 -USA
PH# (509) 238-4126
FAX: (509) 238-4126
EMAIL: mail@cattales.org

Reason for edit: Updated information.

The Sonic God
16.09.2005, 03:24
Excellent! Thank you for the lists of companies. :)

White Lion
16.09.2005, 03:42
No problem, Next time I go in the office I could dive into the stacks of files and get more. These were just the ones i had on my laptop for my personal use.

The Sonic God
17.09.2005, 08:35
I'll make sure and give those to Simba1PDX when I write him again. This is good information.

The costs involved will be hard to tackle, however. I'm hoping that we can obtain some government grants to help the business start.

White Lion
28.09.2005, 05:01
And make shure that you make the refuge an official non-proffit orginization. The tax breaks are really worth it.

The Sonic God
28.09.2005, 05:32
Last thing I want to do is give Uncle Sam more than he deserves. :p

It just might be an NPO, most likely, but we will need contributions.

White Lion
28.09.2005, 05:35
it's a lot easyer to get goverment funding if you're a NPO.

The Sonic God
28.09.2005, 05:37
Let's call up my good buddy, Matthew Lesko... shall we?

Because I have no idea where you would get the papers to fill out necessary to help get us the $25,000 needed to start our sanctuary. (I don't even think that $25,000 would be enough.)

Maybe we should team up with ExxonMobil, too, and help support their "Save the Tigers" fund?

Cobalt
28.09.2005, 12:36
I might be able to put you in touch with my friend, Shannon. She was in charge of the Large Cat Sanctuary that I worked at. If I can find her, I'll see how she got her startup funds.

The Sonic God
29.09.2005, 10:26
Alright, thank you. :) I'd appreciate any contacts that you can find.

The Sonic God
08.10.2005, 11:46
I looked up the information on the addresses. It appears that the location of Peace River Refuge & Ranch seems to be invalid, both on Florida's state page and the RandMcNally website for online maps. According to a Google search, some websites can verify that cat sanctuary, but I get concerned when I can't verify an address.

Other addresses were mixxing their zip codes, I added those in, thanks to RandMcNally.