PDA

View Full Version : Fursuiting: Would you do it?

The Sonic God
01.10.2005, 07:33
I'm going to do it here eventually. I even have a lock box storing cash for getting a fursuit. :) ScribbleFox is the artist whom I want my suit done by.

Alex Kile
01.10.2005, 13:35
http://www.pride-lands.org/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=14
All ready done it. I have poassed the pick on an eraler topic. Ps I have my owen fur suit.

Cobalt
01.10.2005, 13:35
For me, it would have to be a thing of meeting a few conditions. 1) I'd have to be at a convention or someplace where it is expected. 2)I'd have to see what one of these fursuits looks like...

Reepacheep
01.10.2005, 23:48
only if someone paid me. i dont really get excited about the prospect of fursuiting - sporting a tail for the evening may be fun but only in the right place - i.e i would just go out on the town with anything on.

White Lion
02.10.2005, 06:28
I'm planing on doing it at dragon*con next year :)

I'm gona go as the charachter from my book :)

The Sonic God
02.10.2005, 07:19
Have you guys seen the work of Scribblefox?

Reepacheep
02.10.2005, 11:03
yep, his work is very impressive :)

Cobalt
02.10.2005, 21:30
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing his/her work. Do you have any examples?

The Sonic God
19.10.2005, 23:33
http://www.onefurall.com/gallery/index.php?theme=classic_small

Cobalt
20.10.2005, 06:30
Wow. I'm impressed. Those are very nicley done.

The Sonic God
23.10.2005, 03:12
That's what I thought. I'm strongly considering investing into one of ScribbleFox's creations, and if I do, I'll be sure to have photos for you guys. :)

Scout the Playful cub
27.10.2005, 21:39
I thought this thread was about stuff like fur coats and stuff. But after seeing the pictures I would probably put on a fursuit.

The Sonic God
28.10.2005, 04:37
Oh! Goodness, never would I wear a fur... the thought of having a dead animal over my shoulders would make me sick to my stomach. It's just plain wrong.

I'm talking about portraying as the animal you feel you'd most likely mirror inside you. Imagine dressing up as a lion or a wolf and being around with fellow furs playing games, getting to know lots of other furs who share the same interests you do, and just having a good ol' time.

http://fursuit.timduru.org/

Anyango
12.02.2006, 04:32
Oh, I'd LOVE to get me a Meerkat fur suit and walk around in it!!! *giggles* Mainly for conventions and stuff, but i'd love to have one and try it some day! The only thing stopping me is my craptacular Asthma... I'm worried about it bothering me too bad while doing the costuming.

Alex Kile
12.02.2006, 08:39
Well I have asthma and I have a fur suit just kep your vetilen around and your preventer medication on time. but I cant comment on your case only mine. So I would see a doctor befor suiting up.

The Sonic God
12.02.2006, 08:46
Have your doctor see if you can be on Advair. Also, if you use an inhaler, get one of those long plastic tubes from the pharmacist, so you can breathe your puffer through the fursuit. Looks odd, but it works.

Anyango
12.02.2006, 16:09
Well mine really isn't as bad as needing medication, at least not yet anyways. I've been using Albeuterol for the past 2 years, though I think it's starting to lose it's affect on it. There's times where it really doesn't help at all. But thank you, I will check with my doctor about that! :)

Reepacheep
12.02.2006, 19:22
i could be making it up, but itsnt there like a low allergen material available? wouldnt be quite so fuzzy but cant see why it wouldnt make a good replacement as long as the craftmanship is there

White Lion
12.02.2006, 20:25
i'm a sever ashematic and am also set of by certin fabrics and other things like pollen, dead grass,dust, etc.. I have it also had the same problem with albuterol in the past.

talk to you're doctor about Advair. It's a inhaled steriroid that you take once per day. It prevents ashema and it works really well, it comes in to sizes, 250 mg and 500mg

the other is singulair and zyrtec which are both pills.

I'm fixing to start making my fursuit in a few weeks :P

The Sonic God
13.02.2006, 17:42
Originally posted by Anyango
Well mine really isn't as bad as needing medication, at least not yet anyways. I've been using Albeuterol for the past 2 years, though I think it's starting to lose it's affect on it. There's times where it really doesn't help at all. But thank you, I will check with my doctor about that! :)

Welcome to my world. In fact... that reminds me. I should refill my own Albuterol prescription. I've been using it since I was 12. (Cough Asthma sufferer here.)

And as far as the fursuiting thing goes, it can be pretty strenuous, but there is an option of "athletic" suits, which are tighter fitting to your body and are not as heavy.

Alex Kile
07.07.2006, 12:27
I have just finished my new fur suit and here it is

Reepacheep
07.07.2006, 14:34
cute!

Leopatra
07.07.2006, 14:59
looks like a plushie :)

The Sonic God
09.07.2006, 09:41
That's pretty much what a Fursuit is... living the life of a plushy. I think... lol

Never did realise just how hot it got inside of a fursuit until I attended the headless lounge. Inside the fursuit head, it can as hot as 38°C or even hotter. Fursuiters have been known to suffer from heat stroke, seizures, or even regurgitating inside of their fursuit duer to lack of proper hydration.

Water, water, water. Can't stress it enough.

Alex Kile
10.07.2006, 00:57
The cooling is done by two fans in the head conected to a battery pack. As well as ice packs. The exsorst fan removes so much heat that if you put your hand over the air tha is coming out it feals like a heater blowing air over your hand.

The Sonic God
10.07.2006, 09:05
Cold packs are fine, ice packs are not. Ice packs can shock your body.

And don't use fan trickery like a fan blowing on the back of your neck to make you feel cooler, because in reality, you're frying.

I think you mean "exhaust," Alex. But yes, these fans in the fursuit head are quire useful. Nothing more than computer case fans screwed into the head itself. Quite efficient.

Alex Kile
10.07.2006, 14:33
the packs themselves are insulated and are not in direct contact with my skin. Cobalt told me about that and also from my first aid course. they now have a layer of batting between me and the packs.

anything spicy
10.07.2006, 16:48
I unfortunatly have one thing-no two things that are stopping me from getting one:
1:my parents.
They are trying to get me not to like lion king at all so a fursuit would be out of the question

2: Lack of money to buy one.
The fact that I have hardly any money means I cant buy one, or get the materials to make one.

The Sonic God
12.07.2006, 00:43
Originally posted by anything spicy
I unfortunatly have one thing-no two things that are stopping me from getting one:
1:my parents.
They are trying to get me not to like lion king at all so a fursuit would be out of the question

2: Lack of money to buy one.
The fact that I have hardly any money means I cant buy one, or get the materials to make one.

1. They have no right to tell you what to like and what not to like.

2. This is what most furs have problems with. At conventions, an average of 10% of the population actually fursuit.

I'd only recommend trained adults to fursuit.

Cobalt
12.07.2006, 21:12
Originally posted by The Sonic God

I'd only recommend trained adults to fursuit.

Heh. Where does one get fursuit training? :p

On that note, quite possibly against my better judgement I've gone ahead and placed an order for my fursuit with somone from my group who's been at it for a while.

B3 Productions (http://dragonsteel.org/c.htm)

Reepacheep
12.07.2006, 22:22
cool! what are you getting? Full suit?

The Sonic God
12.07.2006, 22:36
Originally posted by Cobalt

Heh. Where does one get fursuit training? :p

Anthrocon 2007, there are 6 Fursuiting panels, 3 of which help train you to perform and take care of your suit.

Shoka
13.07.2006, 00:07
Seriously, fursuit training...? How hard can it possibly be? o.O Don't go swimming in muddy ponds while wearing it, that's a good starting point.

Cobalt
13.07.2006, 02:28
Originally posted by Reepacheep
cool! what are you getting? Full suit?

I'm getting a partial done. It includes a Head, handpaws/arms, and a set of hindpaws. I already have a tail, and I'll be making an artifical chest ruff to go with a shirt.

Supposedly this will be ready in time to take to Midwest Fur Fest in November. I'll be sure to have pics when it's ready.

Reepacheep
13.07.2006, 13:48
awesome! def put up the pics when youre all furried up!

Alex Kile
13.07.2006, 15:18
I'm almost finished. I'm in the process of dry brushing his markings on the suit.
The ears have come up realy well and the rest of his markings are in the process of being done.

The Sonic God
14.07.2006, 02:52
Originally posted by Shoka
Seriously, fursuit training...? How hard can it possibly be? o.O Don't go swimming in muddy ponds while wearing it, that's a good starting point.

What might come obvious to some, others would be oblivious to. For instance, even just the idea of replenishing your system with water people don't think about when fursuiting. As I've said, there's been reports of fursuiters throwing up in their fursuit head. Others collpased into seizure. Some fell unconcious. And the number one cause was the fact that they didn't drink enough water.

Cobalt
27.07.2006, 22:37
Okay, I got a preveiw picture of the handpaws for my fursuit over the week.

Note: Work is Copyright 2006 "Joecifur"/B3 Productions

Cobalt's Blue Lion Paws (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/cobaltpaws.jpg)

Dark_lion
27.07.2006, 23:39
Maybe.I dont think I vould,but maybe why not.I dont know ......???

Reepacheep
28.07.2006, 00:04

Cobalt's Blue Lion Paws (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/cobaltpaws.jpg)

aweeeeeeeeeesome!

The Sonic God
28.07.2006, 05:34

Those are quite good, however, I do feel that the pawpads could be a big bigger. Think of the space that your palm would take on a surface. I do like the design, though.

Cobalt
31.07.2006, 07:31
Those are quite good, however, I do feel that the pawpads could be a big bigger. Think of the space that your palm would take on a surface. I do like the design, though.

Maybe. I'm not really in a place where I can dicate that kind of thing however. That and the builder is someone I know from a Furry social group I hang out with in the Atlanta area, so I trust him when he says they'll work out fine.

The Sonic God
31.07.2006, 23:02
One other thing that I'm really fascinated in is that when a fursuit artist does everything by hand, cutting, stitching, airbrushing, et cetera. Most fursuit artists do their work via machine, but I got to meet the owner of Fur Affinity at SNC Furs, and got to take a look at the beginnings of his fursuit. The entire body was done by hand... and seemingly, everything was done very, very well. :)

Dark_lion
01.08.2006, 23:32
Here in our country,we dont have a store for fursuiting.Thats so sad :(

The Sonic God
07.08.2006, 20:26
Well, there's fursuiting.org, should you ever get interested in trying to create your own fursuit. If you do decide to do such a thing, just remember it is tedius, could take weeks.

OneFurAll.com would be a good site to start with, and then Fursuit.TaniDaReal.com is another good one. (lowercase the letters)

Cobalt
09.08.2006, 23:38
If you do decide to do such a thing, just remember it is tedius, could take weeks.

Weeks? If this is a first attepmt for someone, try more like "months." YOu could be looking at a significant time investment if you haven't done those before.

The Sonic God
09.08.2006, 23:41

If you do decide to do such a thing, just remember it is tedius, could take weeks.

Weeks? If this is a first attepmt for someone, try more like "months." YOu could be looking at a significant time investment if you haven't done those before.

Heh, wrong word. Well, there are 52 weeks in a year...

I myself wouldn't be so bold as to try and do a project that would take me months *or* weeks. I like to finish everything in 1-2 days. So, making a fursuit is not for me. lol

Cobalt
29.08.2006, 21:14
And it's done!

I finally picked up my fursuit from Joecifur over the weekend. I'll be wearing it at the convention I'm going to over the weekend. Pictures on the links below.

Blue Lion Fursuit (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/CobaltFursuit2.jpg)
ECU (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/Sunglasses.jpg)

Meerkat
29.08.2006, 21:33
Nice Fursuit. IŽd like to buy a meerkat-fursuit but my cash are to small. :(

Reepacheep
29.08.2006, 22:10
THAT is freakin' cool Colbalt :D

Alex Kile
01.09.2006, 15:55
he realy does look cool colbalt.

I have just got back from a costume con last week. Where I picked up the workmenship award for novice for my fursuit.

He Does look great though Colbalt.

windrose
01.09.2006, 16:30
Well congratulations to you, Alex. :lionbiggrin I'd say that's an accomplishment indeed.

Alex Kile
02.09.2006, 14:27
Il post a link to the photo site soon

Reepacheep
02.09.2006, 16:15
Originally posted by Alex Kile
Il post a link to the photo site soon

please do :)!

Alex Kile
02.09.2006, 16:30
delete me

Alex Kile
02.09.2006, 16:32
The oficial photos of the Australian Costumers Ball With me in my lion suit here (http://www.australiancostumersguild.org.au/index.php?ind=gallery&op=section_view&idev=26)

Dark_lion
02.09.2006, 20:11
And it's done!

I finally picked up my fursuit from Joecifur over the weekend. I'll be wearing it at the convention I'm going to over the weekend. Pictures on the links below.

Blue Lion Fursuit (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/CobaltFursuit2.jpg)

Just like your Avatar :P

windrose
03.09.2006, 01:15
Originally posted by Dark_lion

And it's done!

Just like your Avatar :P

Yes, that was the general idea. :) ... and it prompted many jokes about lions in trenchcoats which I'm not even going to elaborate on... :liontongue

Alex Kile
03.09.2006, 10:25
I have just borght my fur and coat hanngers for my new fur suit and yes its going to be a lion. But a bit more realistic.

Cobalt
30.10.2006, 04:57
Happy Halloween from the Atlanta Furry's :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/HaloweenTitle.jpg

Alex Kile
30.10.2006, 12:55
cute Cobalt. I hope to have some photos from the con I attended last weekend
I picked A fight with a panda (posing for a photo)
I have only foound one photo of my suit at the con so far.
supanova sci fi channel photo of me (http://www.scifitv.com.au/gallerysupanova/gallery-view.asp?folder=sat_12pm&photo=DSC_0449.JPG)
the panda (http://www.scifitv.com.au/gallerysupanova/gallery-view.asp?folder=sun_10am&photo=DSC_0519.JPG)

The Sonic God
03.11.2006, 02:27
My fursuit is coming... eventually. Eeeee...

Cobalt
06.11.2006, 00:12
Might I ask whom you went through for yours?

The Sonic God
08.11.2006, 04:55
ScribbleFox. His work is the only design I truly admire.

Leopatra
08.11.2006, 14:53
Have you got photos yet, Justin?

To be honest, I think fursuiting is fun, but like with many other things the many scary fetishes of the furry fandom has taken the fun away from it for me personaly.

Cobalt
09.11.2006, 20:59
<points at TSG's PM Box>

You have to learn to seperate the fetish groups from the general fursuiters. While I'll admit there are a significant amount of screwballs out there, don't let it drive you away from something if you're interested in it.

Alex Kile
10.11.2006, 08:54
I devently agree with you there Cobalt there are a lot of screwballs around.

The Sonic God
13.11.2006, 04:12
Originally posted by Leopatra
Have you got photos yet, Justin?

To be honest, I think fursuiting is fun, but like with many other things the many scary fetishes of the furry fandom has taken the fun away from it for me personaly.

No photos yet. Sorry... it might be delayed... again... electricity was cut off here to 240v. Bank screwed up... A cheque for the rent went in far too early, an automatic deposit delay resulted in a bounced cheque. @_X

Cova_Lioness
13.12.2006, 17:27
Went to furr meet 2 weeks ago there was like at least 6 guys in furrsuit they are soo much fun to walk around with.the looks you get are amazing ^^ plus later that night the radio was saying "we are getting disturbed reports about people dressed as animals roaming the streets of London" :lol:

Cobalt
14.12.2006, 05:21
Ahh, nothing quite like generating odd coments, isn't there? ;)

Besides, my philosophy? "Give them something that they don't see every day."

Besides, you should hear the comments my group gets when we do our monthly Fursuit Bowling meets here in Atlanta. I'm almost suprised that we haven't been met by either a) a local news team, b) protesters or c) both. :)

Cova_Lioness
14.12.2006, 12:40
:P hehe, wanted to add to the topic in some way >.< :D

and Furrsuit Bowling sounds very challenging! the idea of dressing up certainly does add another dimension to things, i like it

Reepacheep
14.12.2006, 14:03
can you get bowling balls with big enough holes that can fit fuzzy fingers ;)?

The Sonic God
15.12.2006, 19:00
Surprisingly, yes, but those balls are hard to find and are oftentimes very heavy. Usually, fursuit bowling just involves "pushing" the ball... you can't really get a professional stance unless you're really good. I dunno. Maybe there's a 300 furry bowler out there. :p

Cova_Lioness
15.12.2006, 19:52
*takes 5 mins out to descover what 300 means*

...ha yea i doubt it

The Sonic God
29.12.2006, 22:59
300 - Top Bowling Score

I shouldn't take shortcuts with my English. Sorry. ^^

There were pics of Tani in her fursuit bowling... maybe I can find them.

fursuit.tanidareal.com

Alex Kile
30.12.2006, 13:13
I'm looking at orgainiseing fur suiting lazer tag

The Sonic God
12.01.2007, 05:29
Laser tag actually sounds too strenuous of a task for a fursuiter. Not only that, but a fursuiter would be bright and obvious.

Be one heck of a laugh, though. ^^

Alex Kile
12.01.2007, 09:35
well if it gets of the ground I'll post some pictures

Cobalt
15.01.2007, 04:50
Let me know if you're able to make that one work Alex. Me and some local Atlanta Furs have been thinking of trying to do something like that.

Oh, update: My body suit is now about 50% done, so I'll hopefully have a full suit by the time FWA (Feb '07) rolls around.

The Sonic God
15.01.2007, 06:42
Cobalt, were you going to be able to attend Anthrocon this year?

Cobalt
16.01.2007, 04:16
See Polls section for answer, but yeah. I'll be at AC this year. I'm really hoping that the body suit for my fursuit comes out as well as the mock-up did. I'll have some photos of how I did it.

The Sonic God
02.02.2007, 08:01
I'll be looking forward to seeing you in person... *cough* furson... :)

Cobalt
09.02.2007, 16:17
Yes...now you'll have to try to find me in a full suit this time.

I finaly got my full suit finished a few days back with the help of a friend. it's a combonation of hand and machine sewn, and I've got plans to try and do some additional suits with a friend.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/OMGYay.jpg

Reepacheep
09.02.2007, 18:25
sweet ^^ yay!

The Sonic God
15.02.2007, 06:44
Yes...now you'll have to try to find me in a full suit this time.

I finaly got my full suit finished a few days back with the help of a friend. it's a combonation of hand and machine sewn, and I've got plans to try and do some additional suits with a friend.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d150/Cobalt027/OMGYay.jpg

That will be extremely difficult to miss. ;)

Alex Kile
25.02.2007, 05:04
looks great Cobalt I cant wait to see some photos at a con.
Also looking forward to some fursuiting fun in Sydney later on in the year.

The Sonic God
07.03.2007, 02:05
I'd love to visit Aussieland... but I'm afraid that my Australian English needs a lot of work. :p

What fursuiting con is there in Australia?

AladTheAnthro
03.04.2007, 05:46
I would suit up, but like i've been saying for some time now elsewhere, i'd probably have to wait until i have the amenities and resources to be able to go to a con, let alone commish/build a suit.

So it'll probably be a while before i get the chance to do so, so for now, my answer to the poll is null. <:*)~

The Sonic God
06.04.2007, 23:20
If someone gave you the opportunity to fursuit, Alad, would you?

AladTheAnthro
17.04.2007, 04:32
All depends - would anyone want me to? <:*)~

The Sonic God
17.04.2007, 04:35
Of course! ^^

Alex Kile
17.04.2007, 12:42
I'd love to visit Aussieland... but I'm afraid that my Australian English needs a lot of work. :p

What fursuiting con is there in Australia?

There is midfur Melbourne in December. I have some friends that want to start one in Sydney.
For the moment popcolture and other events serfice.

The Sonic God
20.04.2007, 07:46
America to Australia... practically opposite sides of the world. LONG flight... *might* do it in the future...

VictorDTarsus
16.06.2007, 07:12
If someone gave you the opportunity to fursuit, Alad, would you?

In a heart beat, TSG. Besides, with my new found source of income(freelance designer), I have already settled on commissioning a full bodied squirrel fur suit by Scribblefox. A little more expensive than i'd be willing to pay here in Canada, but it will be worth it for sure!

The Sonic God
19.06.2007, 05:38
And to think that Scribb's is from Canada!

I'll commission him sooner or later, but his time is just gone down the drain...

Sai
22.08.2007, 09:46
id love to suit me up but i dont have a suit and got no skills at making one :(

The Sonic God
27.09.2007, 05:26
Well, you can save 2/3 the cost on making your own fursuit, but it is extremely difficult.

Check out Tani's resources of her fursuit creations at http://fursuit.tanidareal.com.

If you do create a fursuit, your first one will not be good. So, I can feel you on that one... I myself have extremely limited artistic ability.

Demyx
08.10.2007, 23:27
its not realy something I would do but I dont mind if others like it :3

The Sonic God
09.10.2007, 06:14
Fursuiting isn't for everyone, but I certainly liked doing it. ^^

Alex Kile
26.12.2007, 12:55
I just got back from midfur I had a great time running around being stupid. I'll post some pictures of me in my suit.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/RinmaxFurry/MIDFur 071215/IMGP5023.jpg
me suiting in Melbourne

The Sonic God
26.12.2007, 18:06
You could very well be the only wild lion in Aussieland. ^^

Good to see that there are more lions out there. :)

I myself am waiting for the results of my sketch, which will eventually become my fursuit.

josh_down
28.06.2008, 16:37
i put the second one...

i probs wouldn't go the whole suit thing... not really me, plus i doubt there is one to fit XD i would definately do a tail though... maybe ears

The Sonic God
22.07.2008, 04:39
Our fursuits are custom-made, through the reference of a Duct Tape Dummy (http://www.mixedcandy.com/dtd.html). They provide the costume maker an exact reference of your body so that the suit will be designed to fit you.

Saber Tooth Leopardess816
03.09.2008, 22:44
Yeah I'd Wear It all The Time! No Doubt About It!
Its The Best Thing Ever!

josh_down
03.09.2008, 22:46
i'm gonna buy a tail for myself once i get to uni...

does anyone have a pic of a lion tail or anything so that i can see what they look like... surprisingly they're difficult to find pics of

03.09.2008, 22:51
http://www.hoothollow.com/December%202004%20Kenya%20TRIP%20REPORT/African%20Lions%20playing%20A%20RAW%20027627.jpg

I Hope This Link Helps Josh, Its A Photo Of Some Lionesses And One Of thier Tails Is Showing!

josh_down
03.09.2008, 22:54
i meant like a fursuit tail... lol *has seen lionesses before* XDDDDD

The Sonic God
04.09.2008, 05:18
Many furry conventions sell fursuit tails. I'd suggest doing a google search for it.

josh_down
04.09.2008, 11:00
have done XD... lion tails are very difficult to find for some reason XD... standard feline tails are easy... if i do order i'll probs order from here...

http://www.fursona.co.uk/index.php

mainly cause they're based in the uk, and two cause they've been recommended to me by quite a few people.

any other recommendations?

05.09.2008, 22:27
Sorry Josh, *lol* I Wasnt Thinking Furry Tails, But I Hope You Find It!

josh_down
06.09.2008, 01:04
hey no problem XD

08.09.2008, 23:11
**Pulls Yurr Tail** **Giggles**