PDA

View Full Version : Who likes ligers?

The Sonic God
15.05.2006, 08:27
When you cross a lion with a tigress, many things happen. Humans amuse themselves with their astounding creation, improving on the Lord's work.

But then things happen again:

http://shoka.zapto.org:85/otherpics/Liger4.JPG

8 feet, 600 pounds. A might cat indeed, and even bigger than its tiger bretheren. You would think that this cat is big, but that's nothing:

http://shoka.zapto.org/ligerlarge.jpg

1,250 pounds, 12 feet tall. Wow... what a cat!

anything spicy
21.05.2006, 11:35
wow! I want one!

The Sonic God
24.05.2006, 02:55
No... you don't. 1200lb nightmare if you're alone and the kitty wants to play. ;)

anything spicy
24.05.2006, 17:02
No, I do want one. It'll probably eat me before I get it home though :(

Alex Kile
25.05.2006, 10:57
Sonic is right Spicy They have the instincts of a lion and a tiger. As you would know. Lions are a social cat and tigers are not. This leads to confusion in them. If you REALY want a big cat. A lioness is the best bet.

Sarabi Bubbles
26.05.2006, 21:51
Wow, that second one is a beauty.

But...why do they breed lions and tigers? It doesnt make sense!

The Sonic God
27.05.2006, 01:04
Originally posted by Sarabi Bubbles
Wow, that second one is a beauty.

But...why do they breed lions and tigers? It doesnt make sense!

The same reason they mix chocolate and vanilla, or gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles. Just a project of science.

Reepacheep
29.05.2006, 01:00
i dont think i agree with hybridisation. sure, the results are amazing... but it just doesnt sit right in my mind.

The Sonic God
29.05.2006, 03:50
It's not like they're being forced against their will...

... I think.

But, yeah, purely a human project. The chances of lions and tigers breeding in the wild are astronomically small. The Asiatic Lion and Tiger would have the best chance of wild-breeding, though this is highly unlikely.

Levin
29.05.2006, 04:13
I agree with Reepacheep, I'm against hybridisation, I guess in simple terms "It's just not natural." It was a nice pic though Sonic God, that is one massive cat...I feel bad for it's prey =P

The Sonic God
29.05.2006, 04:15
The photos are hosted by ShokaX, one of the administrators from The Furry Forum.

He showed those to me and I was just awestruck by the sheer size of those kitties. O_O

Reepacheep
29.05.2006, 11:07
i think a lot of the time, hybridisation occurs through artificial means. though i could be wrong

The Sonic God
06.06.2006, 02:20
It is all artificial means. A lion cub and tiger cub are hand-raised together as youngsters, growing up together, they become accepting of each other's company, and when comes time for nature to kick in... well, you get the point.

The only chance that a lion and a tiger would made in the wild is if the rare Asiatic Lion and Bengal Tiger were to cross paths... and that is almost assuredly not going to happen.

Reepacheep
06.06.2006, 14:25
I meant more through artificial insemination to reduce the risk of the incompatibility of the cats, but seems that way would work, too.

Cobalt
06.06.2006, 16:26
I'd think you are right, Reep. Although I would be interested in knowing what the rate of genetic icompatibility is, and does it decrease with each successive generation?

Of course, the question of "why" also kind of comes to mind.

Reepacheep
06.06.2006, 18:02
As far as I am aware, they are genetically compatible enough to produce a cub, though incompatible enough to make the Liger cub infertile. Much Like a donkey and a horse can produce offspring, but in turn the offspring cannot reproduce. So there isnt a chance for there to be more than a single generation in a genetic line.

As for why... people do scientific research on which biscuit is best to dunk in tea!!!! its cause they can, and get funding for it, though is relatively pointless

The Sonic God
07.06.2006, 05:01
Originally posted by Reepacheep
As far as I am aware, they are genetically compatible enough to produce a cub, though incompatible enough to make the Liger cub infertile. Much Like a donkey and a horse can produce offspring, but in turn the offspring cannot reproduce. So there isnt a chance for there to be more than a single generation in a genetic line.

As for why... people do scientific research on which biscuit is best to dunk in tea!!!! its cause they can, and get funding for it, though is relatively pointless

Surprisingly, ligers I do not believe are infertile like mules. Li-ligers are 3/4 Lion, and 1/4 tiger.

Reepacheep
07.06.2006, 10:50
I stand corrected then! What I do know though, is that theyre very susceptable to problems such as blindness though.

Cobalt
07.06.2006, 22:58
Hmm. Interesting. I was always under the impression that they were infirtile. Wonder if I got my facts confused...

The Sonic God
08.06.2006, 01:17
I'm just referencing from internet documents.

Mafriki
27.06.2006, 00:21
Am I being stupid or is that 2nd picture a blatant photoshop do? :P

A.A. Milne wrote in The London Magazine, "Under exceptional circumstances it has been known for a tiger to be forced into ranges inhabited by the Asian lion, Panthera leo persica, which is the same genus as the tiger. Rare reports have been made of tigresses mating with lions in the wild and producing offspring known as ligers. When a tiger and a lioness mate the cub is called a tigon.'" [2] This would have referred to the Gir Forest in India where the ranges of Asiatic Lions and Bengal Tigers overlap.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger
That just shows what TSG said about the natural mating :)

As it's happened naturally it's sort of oddly alright, but to try and emulate it as a "project" is wrong.

The Sonic God
27.06.2006, 08:08
No, that second pic is not a Photoshop hack.

And the quite by A.A. Milne proves that I was in the right direction. ^^

*Edit*

So it is a hack... I just don't remember anymore. :p

Mafriki
27.06.2006, 11:00
Originally posted by The Sonic God
No, that second pic is not a Photoshop hack.
So all ligers have EXACTLY the same markings? When they get larger their shadows don't also get larger? And where the guys hand was now isn't some weird fuzzy colour that doesn't look as clear as the rest of the fur? In two pictures the people are in EXACTLY the same places/poses? The shadows are also at the same "position" (in comparsion to a light source) too. The trees, every leaf, is in the same position!

You're telling me that's NOT shopped?

Reepacheep
27.06.2006, 11:15
im with mafriki here - if you open the pics in two different windows, and repeatedly switch between the two, you can see its just been enlarged, and its exactly the same cat.

Albus
27.06.2006, 12:50
Yes, I agree. You can clearly see where the guy’s hand has been badly moved on the ligers back. Plus the lady's hair has been shortened to make way for the ligers head (which is stunningly blowing exactly the same way in both pictures :P).

Shoka
27.06.2006, 19:28
I think I'll step in here. YES that second picture is a photoshop hack as I was the one who did it, as I said to you when I sent you the image Justin. That is just an edit of the image to reflect a fully grown liger, as the liger in the original photograph is only (!) an older adolescent. The fully grown dimensions Justin stated originally are correct though.

*edited for spelling *edit* and again >.O*

*second edit*
Finding an genuine image of people interacting like that with a fully grown liger would probably not be easy for obvious safety reasons. Not that the adolescent in the first picture couldn't make short work of anyone it set it's sights on, but meh.

I rather like ligers I think they're pretty cool looking. Unfortunately, seeing as all of the dozen or so ligers in the world are in captivity, they're not as well toned as ones in the wild might be; a lot of them being quite fat.

This is another picture of the same liger. Note the gut. http://shoka.zapto.org/Forum/liger3.jpg

Reepacheep
27.06.2006, 21:44
jeez what a fatty!! i envision liver and kidney problems, and perhaps a stroke ?(

The Sonic God
01.07.2006, 20:24
Originally posted by Shoka
I think I'll step in here. YES that second picture is a photoshop hack as I was the one who did it, as I said to you when I sent you the image Justin. That is just an edit of the image to reflect a fully grown liger, as the liger in the original photograph is only (!) an older adolescent. The fully grown dimensions Justin stated originally are correct though.

The second one is a hack? Wow... I don't remember... I'll have to take a look at that image...

Huh... fooled me. O_o;; Guess I didn't take a close enough look. :p

Shoka
02.07.2006, 03:14
No worries. ^^

The Sonic God
03.07.2006, 22:16
But ligers *can* get that big, so I was told, suffering from a genetic disorder known interestingly enough as "gigantism."

Shoka
03.07.2006, 23:03
Yeah, as I said before, the information you gave was correct.

They can get to staggering sizes; I'd love to see one, just for the general thrill of seeing such a huge big cat.

The Sonic God
04.07.2006, 07:08
What would you think upon gazing at the tremendousness of such a large cat? Even the largest breed of canine comes nowhere near the size of a liger.

I guess cats are better than dogs! ^^

Shoka
04.07.2006, 12:32
But of course. =P

Natural or not though, the sheer feeling of power you'd get from one of these must be incredible...

Leopatra
04.07.2006, 14:50
The first picture won't load for me...

Was it that one?

http://www.fahadinc.com/Blog_Pics/liger.jpg

Reepacheep
04.07.2006, 15:13
Originally posted by Leopatra
The first picture won't load for me...

Was it that one?

http://www.fahadinc.com/Blog_Pics/liger.jpg

yeah, pretty much :)