PDA

View Full Version : Spiders!

simbarocks185
12.07.2006, 23:51
Are you afraid of spiders?:-(

Cobalt
13.07.2006, 01:24
While I'm not *afraid* of spiuders, you probably won't catch me cuddling up to one of those suckers at any point either. And let me tell you, Georgia has some *big honking spiders* I think theses things are going to carry off my TV if I let them. :-?

simbarocks185
13.07.2006, 03:41
I am terrified of spiders!!!! I will never touch one in my whole life!!!! I will never have a spider for a pet!!!!! Spiders are so scary!!:?

Reepacheep
13.07.2006, 12:46
I dislike them immensly!! I can deal with the little ones, but if they have a tiny body and LOOOOONG legs, ew ew ew ew ew ew!!!!!! ill run a mile

Kirauni
13.07.2006, 13:43
Well, fortuantely Spiders in Germany are not that big and they usually are not poisonous either. So normally I am not afraid of spiders, but as Cobalt said you won't find me hugging one...

My cat really seems to like spiders. It usually trys catching and eating them :shock:

Alex Kile
13.07.2006, 14:09
Well I am scared of spiders but where I'm from you would expect it. The sydney funnel web can Kill a full growen human very quickly.

Cobalt
13.07.2006, 23:12
Ooog. I've heard of those things. One of my friends said he found a Black Widow (Highly posionous) in his place the other day, and I'm starting to become paranoid about Brown Recluse Spiders in my place, as I hear they are kind of common.

windrose
13.07.2006, 23:59
My only real beef with the really big spiders here in Georgia is that they all like to hang out in the shower for some reason -- although coming face to face with one generally wakes me up more thoroughly than even a cold shower can do.

I've never seen a brown recluse here (or even any of it's cousins the fiddlebacks) but I've had a family friend and a relative who were bitten by one. I have found a nest of black widows. They are actually quite pretty. I paused to admire them .... as I was spraying them with bug spray to kill them, that is.

As a rule of thumb, I kill brightly colored spiders (since in the insect world bright colors are a sign of being poisonous -- which is not quite the same as being venomous but I'm not taking chances)... as well as any spider with a design on its back. Since I know of black widows and the fiddleback family that are venomous, I'm not about to take the time to study a spider and try to decide whether or not it is. I figure if I'm still curious I can look it up after it's dead.

Other than that I ignore them... except to trap the big ones and set them back outside that is... :)

The Sonic God
14.07.2006, 01:38
I do not fear spiders. Partly because they take care of our insect problem.

Alex Kile
14.07.2006, 12:48
We have a spider that looks like the blackwidow called the Red back spider because thay have a big red stripe down thier back. and are more piosonus then the Black Widow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-back_spider

anything spicy
14.07.2006, 15:38
Spiders are cool! I like spiders

Shoka
15.07.2006, 01:06
Yes I'm scared of them. I'd do everything I could to avoid contact with them if I could.

Some of the house spiders are big... The giant house spider for one... Not that I've ever tried it myself, but using online information and a tape measure, one would sit just about comfortably on the palm of the hand.

Obviously don't click this if you don't want to see an image of a spider.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/images/gigantea.jpg

nathalie
15.07.2006, 10:38
Totally :shock:

Even those very very tiny ones which you almost can't see with the naked eye, I will see those, and then I tend to YELL for help ^_^

I don't scream when I see one, I'll just freeze up :s

Reepacheep
15.07.2006, 12:16
Originally posted by Shoka
Yes I'm scared of them. I'd do everything I could to avoid contact with them if I could.

Some of the house spiders are big... The giant house spider for one... Not that I've ever tried it myself, but using online information and a tape measure, one would sit just about comfortably on the palm of the hand.

Obviously don't click this if you don't want to see an image of a spider.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/images/gigantea.jpg

now those ones i HATE! those and the crane-fly type ones (i know thats not a spider :)) ) are practically the only living creatures that i hate

Cobalt
15.07.2006, 15:48
I think this thread cursed me or something. Since this thread began I've had *way* more then the usual assortment in my appartment.As of yesterday, this included a Brown Recluse. And *those* are poisonous.

Reepacheep
16.07.2006, 11:19
they wanted to read what we were saying about them!!

Mafriki
17.07.2006, 09:11
I used to HATE spiders, but slowly I just learned to deal with them because my sister was scared too and if she had a spider in her room when it was late I hadda get rid of it for her. She is 2 years older, but I guess that stands for little with fears.

My mate also hates spiders (moths too, and daddy-long-legs... I can see why daddys cuz they're like dumb, flying spiders, but why moths?).

So generally any fear I used to have has been pushed aside.

Though saying that I'd probably still run away from any "large" spider.

So glad I generally only see british garden spiders :D Biggest are only around 1.5 inches or something.

The Sonic God
17.07.2006, 19:22
Moths and butterflies must be burned by a flamethrower. Period. They are ugly and disgusting.

Spiders eat moths and butterflies. Therefore I have no problem with spiders.

But they all yield to my vacuum cleaner. ^^

White Lion
18.07.2006, 17:20
eep ! I hate spiders :S I'm actualy kind of arachnaphobic...not to the extint as most arachnaphobs. But i still can't stay in the same room as one without killing it in a very violent manner that involves the use of a size 14 boot.

anything spicy
18.07.2006, 18:09
Originally posted by The Sonic God
Moths and butterflies must be burned by a flamethrower. Period. They are ugly and disgusting.

Spiders eat moths and butterflies. Therefore I have no problem with spiders.

But they all yield to my vacuum cleaner. ^^
Ok, I understand about moths ( my house has been invaded by- them. They get everywhere and leave maggots in our food) but butterflys?

Fiona
18.07.2006, 18:26
I hate big spiders but the small one are acceptable for me.As long as they leave me alone.

Mafriki
18.07.2006, 19:57
Originally posted by anything spicy
Ok, I understand about moths ( my house has been invaded by- them. They get everywhere and leave maggots in our food) but butterflys?
Not maggots... that's flies (who are easily coaxed out of rooms -- less they're small then they get squished, but not many small ones seem to come in), but caterpillars (if small :P). Even with all our windows open they don't get "everywhere" they generally stay in the rooms with lights -- maybe they're attracted to light? ;)
Never found any in food... Maybe we store it so well in our cupboards, boxes & packaging. Then again I make a point of closing everything so stuff can't get in... handy little lids, flaps, etc. taking all of 3 seconds to close.

The good thing about moths if they seem to get bored of flying after a while so they're easily killable.

The only time I kill spiders if they're close to a water supply then they get to swim :D Usually they get to take a flying lesson out of a window though. Spiders are too messy when squished...

Moths appear to be made up of a easily wipeable substance though :lol: :D

Reepacheep
18.07.2006, 21:28
moths tend to appear in really old dried foodstuffs - not quite sure how, perhaps they lay dormant or something.

Cobalt
21.07.2006, 14:27
When I had a Guinea pig I would buy bulk food from a local feed store. THis was great untill I got a batch that somehow spawned a *large* number of moths. I almost got crowded out og the home by those things. lol

Reepacheep
21.07.2006, 15:46
yeah, select bags of feed at work have a number of the buggers too - you'll open the cupboard one day to a lot of extra pets :D

The Sonic God
22.07.2006, 00:20
And then... a massive increase in the spider population.

You should see my sister's basement. It's practically Spider Central there... @_X

Jajaro
31.07.2006, 16:05
I pretty much dislike spiders. To me, they always seems alien compared to other species of creatures with their freaky looking eight eyes staring at you lifelessly and the way they sucks the body fluids from their victims. It got worse when I learned that in some places you had better shake your shoes first before putting them on in case of any poisonous spiders decides to take up residence in them. Guess too much of those National Geographic Special are not going to help me like them better. Ohwell, at least they are not in abundace over here unlike cockroaches. Now that's one specie which I loathe greatly.

The Sonic God
31.07.2006, 21:57
So, what country in this world do people find spiders to be a delicacy? ^^

Dark_lion
31.07.2006, 22:01
Ummmm think in China or Japan

The Sonic God
31.07.2006, 22:04
I heard that they eat tarantulas in places of South-central Africa, too. It was like something out of Fear Factor, watching these guys on the Discovery Channel, cooking and eating spiders... they said that it was somewhere between chicken and crab meat.

Dark_lion
31.07.2006, 22:23
I wouldnt taste it if it has a bestest taste on world

The Sonic God
07.08.2006, 19:34
Originally posted by Dark_lion
I wouldnt taste it if it has a bestest taste on world

Hehe, well, personally I find lobsters to be uglier than spiders and I find those to be quite tasty.

Reepacheep
07.08.2006, 23:53
i can imagine them tasting like crab, seeing as they are related somewhat. the closest bug i have come to eat before i became vegetarian were chili-flavoured meal worms. they were actually pretty good!

The Sonic God
09.08.2006, 22:36
This has become one strange topic. Let's talk about those delicious creepy spiders we all fear! XD

Dark_lion
09.08.2006, 23:06
Delicious ?.(I dont think so)
In my country theres no spiders that are dangeours.We dont have any big spiders(like tarantula),or anything like that.We only have little spiders :)

The Sonic God
09.08.2006, 23:07
Spiders know better than to mess with big, tough Europeans. ^^

Most spiders see the bottom of my shoe. I am not afraid of them at all. ;)

Dark_lion
09.08.2006, 23:16
We?Tough? Not think so.We,I mean I think that America is the most toughes and bestes country on the world

The Sonic God
11.08.2006, 21:43
Näh. We only look that way because we're not scared of spiders. ;)