PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from the Minnesota Zoo & Como Zoo

The Sonic God
31.07.2006, 07:05
Where have I gone? Well, guarantee I you that where I've been is a very nice place. And it just happens to be the Minnesota Zoo. Now, I was a little disappointed to know the fact that lions weren't here! They said that the costs in maintaining an area for the lions as a natural habitat and keeping the place fit for lions during our harsh winters would be far too costly. So, no lions. But, they do have tigers, clouded leopards, a bobocat, and a lynx. I grabbed what I could with what limited space I had in my camera. Since I have membership, I can go back whenever I want and grab more pictures. :)

Enjoy!

http://www.ultimategamers.org/temp/mnzoo/

Edit-Update: Photos from the Como Zoo in St. Paul, MN are now available.

Due to camera limitations, some photos may be blurry. I apologize for this problem.

Kirauni
31.07.2006, 14:48
Thank you very much for posting that pictures, Justin.
One of my nephews (he is seven years old) really likes the picture of the giraffes because they are his favourit animals.

Dark_lion
31.07.2006, 14:53
Beatifull !

s-tlk
31.07.2006, 14:56
They are looking awesome!
Thank you for showing us. ^^

Reepacheep
31.07.2006, 16:08
oooh very cool :)

Jajaro
31.07.2006, 16:40
What? No lions? Heretics! :P

Anyway, thanks for the photos. It's nice to see how zoos from other countries look like.

The Sonic God
31.07.2006, 21:16
Originally posted by Kirauni
Thank you very much for posting that pictures, Justin.
One of my nephews (he is seven years old) really likes the picture of the giraffes because they are his favourit animals.

Not a problem. These pictures are royalty-free, so feel free to copy them and do whatever you want with them.

And considering the myriad of meerkat fans on this forum, I got plenty of photos of meerkats (toward the beginning and end) that you may also have. These images are rather large, so they make good desktop patterns. :)

Also want to point out the nice bronze tiger statue that I saw at the Minnesota zoo. The large bronze tiger stands about 3 1/2 feet high. I thought that was rather camera-worthy, even though it's just a statue. ^^

Dark_lion
01.08.2006, 22:42
In our zoo,you cant see girafe,tigers or anything.In our ¨zoo¨you see just monkeys,rabbits and some birds.Its horible I tell you

The Sonic God
02.08.2006, 22:06
Boring...

Well, if you all want more pictures, I can certainly go back and take more. :)

Dark_lion
03.08.2006, 22:42
Yeah TSG.My cousin went to Austria.He then went to the city zoo and he was amazed.And I was,when he show me his pictures.

The Sonic God
03.08.2006, 23:25
One of these days I will have to visit the München and Österreich Zoos. :)

The Sonic God
05.08.2006, 22:10
There is a new directory with more pictures in the link posted above. :)

Dark_lion
05.08.2006, 22:11
Where did you get them ?

Kirauni
07.08.2006, 19:41
Say Justin... is the Zoo where you've taken your pictures the one mentioned in this article?

5 Minnesota Zoo meerkats killed after a girl had been bitten girl (http://www.startribune.com/462/story/594696.html)

If yes this is really a sad story. Atimon brought it up in the German-speaking section and I thought it might interest you, although it really is sad buisness. :(

The Sonic God
07.08.2006, 20:13
Originally posted by Kirauni
Say Justin... is the Zoo where you've taken your pictures the one mentioned in this article?

5 Minnesota Zoo meerkats killed after a girl had been bitten girl (http://www.startribune.com/462/story/594696.html)

If yes this is really a sad story. Atimon brought it up in the German-speaking section and I thought it might interest you, although it really is sad buisness. :(

This was like the day after I visted the zoo. I'm feeling really angry about all of this, just because two parents refuse to inoculate their child five meerkats had to die. And "'m tearing my hair out of my head because of this...

It is very possible that the meerkat pictures in the 7-30-06 directory are no longer with us.

And it's true what the article said about the exhibit. There is a stone staircase alongside the enclosure for little kids to get up on... and that you can actually reach your hand into the enclosure. Well, who's going to be that stupid? Meerkats bite! And there were warnings to not stick your hands into the cage.

Ohhh... imagine the lawsuits. -_-;;

I think I'm going to go cry now... :(

Atimon
07.08.2006, 20:24
It really saddens me, too.. I think I'll need several days now until I'll get over this.
All I can say at the moment is, poor creatures and stupid parents. :lioncry

The Sonic God
07.08.2006, 20:32
Originally posted by Atimon
It really saddens me, too.. I think I'll need several days now until I'll get over this.
All I can say at the moment is, poor creatures and stupid parents. :lioncry

Stupid child for not keeping her hands out of the exhibit.
Stupid parents for not protecting their child, on many counts.
And stupid Minnesota Zoo for not creating a better, more protective enclosure.

And I'm just sitting here, helpless...

------

Later I will be travelling to the Como Zoo, which is a free branch from the Minnesota Zoo, and I'll get some photos there as well in the future.

Dark_lion
07.08.2006, 21:31
Those Idiots.Kill 5 helples meerkats because of that.Thats so sad and stupid.Stupid children who dont read warnongs and puts their hands where they dont supose too.And parents who dont care for their children in the zoo.I mean,it can be averything(sorry i dont know how to speel it):

Albus
07.08.2006, 22:21
It really makes me angry to know that there are parents out there that would rather have animals put down, instead of getting their child checked. If the meerkats had been found possitive for rabies, the girl would have had to have had the tests anyway. But if the parents had told her not to put her hands over the barrier in the first place... Well exactly. You can't expect a child to understand these things, and because of bad parenting, zoo's suffer. Always. :lionsad

The Sonic God
08.08.2006, 07:12
Originally posted by Albus
It really makes me angry to know that there are parents out there that would rather have animals put down, instead of getting their child checked. If the meerkats had been found possitive for rabies, the girl would have had to have had the tests anyway. But if the parents had told her not to put her hands over the barrier in the first place... Well exactly. You can't expect a child to understand these things, and because of bad parenting, zoo's suffer. Always. :lionsad

Spot on, Albus. I think that both the parents and the zoo share some sort of fault. That meerkat cage should not have been so easy to get in. If I wanted to, I could have climbed right into that cage and grabbed a meerkat and ran off with it. It would have been that easy. Everything else was a fortress, either you had to look at an animal from 4 inches of bulletproof glass, or over a tall barrier.

s-tlk
08.08.2006, 09:41
That's really a sad case and I don't know, who has the fault for this, if it's neither the zoo, or the parents. But I guess that the child isn't guilty, because kids are often curious and wanna touch everything they get in their paws... ähh hands and I guess you can imagine that parents, who don't care for their kids don't tell: "Don't touch the animals". In fact I believe that the parents are to be blamed for this... desaster, although the zoo has also to think about more protection arrangements for the animals and the visitors.

Somehow I get the feeling, that all meerkats caves are not very secure. The Zoo in Cologne has only a small wall right beside this observation area. Unfortunatly I have only a photo of this:
http://priderock.dyndns.org/stuff/pics/Zoo/Erdmaennchen/09.10.2005%20-%20Zoo0191.jpeg
But to the right and left are only a 1 m high wall, where everybody can jump over or touch the meerkats from.
I hope this event helps to enhanced the security for animals and visitors, in order that this doesn't happen again.

Albus
08.08.2006, 12:45
The barrier around one of the meerkat enclosers, at my local zoo (Marwell), is only about four feet high. If you have a look at these two webcam photo's, that I've kept a copy of, you'll see just how easy it is to reach over it.

Photo 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Oxlade/meerkat0129.jpg)
Photo 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Oxlade/meerkat0108.jpg)

The sign in the middle is the "Do not touch" warning. There is nothing to actually stop you touching. The people in photo 2 are standing on level ground; there is nothing for children to stand on. (Only the wall itself, and then a parent is holding their child there to stop them falling in).

The webcam can be found here (http://www.marwell.org.uk/pages/zooinfo/webcam.html).

The Sonic God
09.08.2006, 10:25
Any half-brained imbucile knows all too well not to stick their hands in the path of an animal that has teeth and claws. I'm sorry for the blunt remark, but that's all there is to it.

I've seen three year olds know better.

windrose
09.08.2006, 13:53
You know, I asked my kids about this one. (Both are incensed and devoutly hope the family gets billed for the cost to replace the meerkats... which probably won't happen but still...) My son (Pyrotigre) stated firmly that even at nine years old he knew better than to stick his hand in with a wild animal. When I asked my daughter, the one we jokingly refer to as "the druid" (think D&D), if she would have done such a thing at nine years old, she said "Possibly...?" She then went on to say "But I'd trust my family not to let that happen."

In truth, I started taking both of them to the zoo when they were still in strollers -- and until they reached puberty there was a two to one adult to child ratio. You have to expect kids not to have any sense and take appropriate precautions. Her parents failed.

She (the girl who did this) was stupid; her parents were negligent; and everyone else is going to pay the price for that -- the meerkats paid with their lives and everyone else is going to pay with higher ticket prices (they have to recoup the $ loss somehow) and loss of the meerkat exhibit too.

The Sonic God
09.08.2006, 21:59
http://www.ultimategamers.org/temp/mnzoo/Como_Zoo_08-09-2006/

And they actually have lions here! *squee* I spent like two hours in the big cat exhibits, and I couldn't stop staring at the lions. O_O

red_lion
29.08.2006, 19:55
hey. i was watchin gon tv munster zoo in germany. i realy dont know where it is but its realy great there. i hope so.

were some who there, i think there is great :dino

windrose
19.09.2006, 00:06
I'm bumping this topic out of curiousity. I was talking with Albus about his meerkat pics and just how close it seemed he was able to get to the meerkats to take the pics... and made the snarky comment (because apparently I'm more bitter about the incident than I realized) "At least you had sense enough not to stick your hand in the enclosure with them."

He mentioned in reply that the zoo had put up temporary barriers with signs saying "These barriers are for yours and the animals' protection" -- almost as if they were reacting to what happened in Minnesota.

Keep in mind that the zoo he frequents is in the UK. It just made me curious about what, if any, changes had been made in other zoos as well.

The Sonic God
21.09.2006, 00:08
Almost all of the zoos around the world know about this incident and they're all reacting accordingly. Over the years, zoos were making enclosures more complex, but at the same time, the barriers/cages have made it possible for people to get *extremely* close to the animals. Some of the smallers animals at the Minnesota Zoo could can actually reach into the cage and touch the animal, such as the meerkat and gopher exhibits. Now, most adults know not to touch the animals and have the common sense, but children do not. Children don't understand the risks.