PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle is off the endangered species list

windrose
29.06.2007, 01:58
The US Dept of the Interior removed the American Bald Eagle from the list of threatened species, marking its formal "return". In 1963 there were 417 documented breeding pairs. Today there are over 10,000.

Most species seem to go from threatened to endangered to extinct -- kind of nice to see one go the other way.

You can read more here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070628/ap_on_sc/eagle_recovery_10). :)

The Sonic God
29.06.2007, 07:00
Just to add a little something to celebrate:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39985543/

Reepacheep
29.06.2007, 11:28
thats great news :)

Leopatra
29.06.2007, 11:59
cool =D

Mafriki
01.07.2007, 01:25
It's good that they're off the endangered species list (always good when something gets off of it), but I personally do think that they're ugly things.

I like lots and lots and lots of birds. But bald eagles... erf.

Leopatra
01.07.2007, 09:14
Really? Well I think something like a Marabou is by far more ugly, even though it's wrong to make a statement like that because basically, an animal doesn't care if a human thinks that it looks ugly or not.

windrose
02.07.2007, 03:12
In all honesty, I'm not much of a bird lover. I have cats and seeing birds swarm and dive-bomb your pet just for daring to step out onto the porch sort of takes away your enthusiasm for "fine feathered friends". That being said, I find that each species has its own beauty. I've even been known to admire a vulture (some of them have very lovely plumage).

The Bald Eagle isn't the brightest creature in the world but there is a certain mesmerizing majesty to seeing one flying overhead (I used to live near one of their nesting grounds). Although seeing one was usually followed by making sure all cats were accounted for. Those things are huge. :liono_o

Mafriki
02.07.2007, 03:56
Originally posted by Leopatra
Really? Well I think something like a Marabou is by far more ugly, even though it's wrong to make a statement like that because basically, an animal doesn't care if a human thinks that it looks ugly or not.
By that same argument then surely it's "unfair" to say an animal looks majestic or beautiful?

True an animal doesn't care, but it doesn't need to care.

Do you care what everyone thinks about you? I'd hope not. I'd hope you only cared about the opinions of those that you cared for and hoped they cared for you back.

As far as people go it's if I get on with them or not. They could be a minger (totally unsure if that's in a non-Brit's vocab :)), but if they're a good laugh (or just plainly not an a-hole) I'll get on with them.

Animals on the other paw don't really have that same capacity to work with.

It's all a matter of opinion and "eye of the beholder" type stuff. Each to their own, etcetera.

Leopatra
02.07.2007, 17:35
By that same argument then surely it's "unfair" to say an animal looks majestic or beautiful?

True an animal doesn't care, but it doesn't need to care.

It's not unfair but uneccessary O.o It's just not of any concern but yourself and already humanising an animal and squeezing it into a world of human measures.

I am trying to see it as a whole, that's all. An animal doesn't have more or less right to exist just because it doesn't look appealing to humans. We have to be responsible about all creatures that we threaten in one way or the other, and not only the ones which look nice us.

Mafriki
03.07.2007, 03:54
Now I'm wondering where I read "unfair"... because I always re-read my posts including "quotes/zitats". Hum. Oh well.

Either way, if someone decided something should die just because they found it "ugly" then they're not really worth the time of day and to that end they themselves are an "ugly" person.

But regardless you'll still form your opinion about the "looks" of an animal, if it cares or not. It's just what people do.