Danke! Danke!:  0
Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6

Thema: Archive?

Pridelander

Archive?

Hi,

I'm just wondering... is there any way to trace back old posts that were made on the Furry Forum?
    If yes, how far can you go back?

I was looking through the RP section and found that a lot of stories have disappeared...

What actually happens to them? Are they deleted automatically after a while, or stored in an archive?

*really hopes for the second thing*

Rudelführerin Avatar von Kirauni
    Hey Bikani!

Yes, unfortunately many topics were lost since the hacker's attack on the old EZboard Furry Forum. I don't know if you know about what happend back then but it was the beginning of the end - so to speak. I mean thousands of postings and hundreds of topics disappeared beacuse of that stupid attack. Some boards were lucky but the furry forum got hit really hard and on top of that Ezboard couldn't provide any backups. It was simply awful and one of the reasons we moved "what was left" to a new location.

Currently, a team of a few people are trying to restore some of the lost topics via http://web.archive.org but that takes a lot of time and I'm afraid there will be many postings we can't restore. That's why in some topics you find the message "page 4 is missing and cannot be restored" for example.
    So I'm afraid we do all we can but it's a lot of work. But if you still have some backups in a word file or so, let me know. Or if you know of somebody who does. then we could add the topic to the board again

I hope that answers your question.
    "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."
    Avatar gezeichnet von Atimon. Profilbild von Tacimur. Vielen Dank euch beiden!

Pridelander
    Oh, so that is what happened! Now I remember about the hacker. I really think that was stupid and pointless

A few months back I was reading one of the topics and it indeed said something like "page 4 is missing and cannot be restored". But now I can't even see the topic anymore. I was just wondering where everything was going

Thanks for telling me! I hope at least some of the old topics will come back. I will let you know if I find someone who still has backups

Ah, I see!

No, no other topics ahve been deleted. You probably don't see them because they are very old.

At the bottom of the thread-list it says "Showing threads 1 to 25 of 225", "sorted by last post time in descending order".
    Make sure to pick "from any date" there. So you should see all topics

If it still doesn't help, try using the search. Does that work for you or do you still miss a topic?
    If yes, it would be very good to have some informations like a title, the posters or the content and I'll have a look into it

Pridelander
    Ah, I've found it now ^^ It says "Pages 2, 3 and 4 are missing and cannot be restored."
    Grrrrr @ hacker!

Too bad you can't go back further than 2003 in the Pridelands and Outlands section. It would be fun to be able to see the Forum exactly the way it was around the time I joined, in 2002
    Thanks for all your help!

*wishes for a time travelling machine 8)*

Well you can always give the "Way back machine" a try
    Maybe you can find some of the old postings there... but I'm not really sure if the sections "Pridelands and Outlands" had already existed back in 2003.
    I can't remember because the Furry Forum has changed greatly over the years.

There were times visitors were not able to view the board.
    On top of that I recall that the URL even changed from
    "pub5.ezboard.com/bvitanispride" to "p089.ezboard.com/bvitanispride"
    so that's why the Way Back Machine doesn't provide "digital snapshots" of every year. Too bad :/
    So you see, restoring some postings is really a lot of work thanks to that hacker.

But I'm glad that the topics here could be saved.
    Now that the old furry forum seems to have vanished (or probably moved to yuku.. who knows?) that's all we have besides our memories.

But you can go and see if you find something interesting
    And as I said if you come across some logs or wordfiles (some users do backup their posts!) we can copy them here